HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - Huntsville City Schools, Madison City Schools and Madison County schools will begin the 2020 school year on a virtual learning plan.
At 9 a.m. on Wednesday, a group of school administrators from Huntsville and Madison made the announcement at the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber within the auditorium to allow for social distancing.
- Christie Finley, Superintendent of Huntsville City Schools
- Dr. Ed Nichols, Superintendent of Madison City Schools
- Allen Perkins, Superintendent of Madison County Schools
- Mayor Tommy Battle, City of Huntsville
- Mayor Paul Finley, City of Madison
- Elizabeth Fleming, Executive Director, The Schools Foundation
- Kevin Byrnes, 2020 Board Chair, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber Board of Directors
- Lucia Cape, Senior Vice President of Economic Development, Industry Relations & Workforce, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber
- Dr. Oscar Montgomery, Senior Pastor, Union Hill Primitive Baptist Church
Today, there are more than 65,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases statewide, including more than 3,500 in Madison County. Officials hope mask requirements and social distance pushes will slow the alarmingly high gains in COVID-19 cases.
“The health and safety of students, families and staff members is paramount,” Superintendent Christie Finley said. “This was not an easy decision, and this was not something we took lightly. We join our nearby school districts and school districts across the country in working to mitigate risk by beginning the school year remotely.”
Families enrolled in Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA) can continue participating in HVA and not be impacted by the transition to remote learning. The deadline to enroll in HVA will remain Friday, July 24, 2020, at 4 p.m. Families may begin the enrollment process by visiting huntsvillecityschools.org/hva.
HCS is working to eliminate barriers by providing families with curbside Wi-Fi at all school sites and working with internet providers to assist families with low-cost internet options. Additionally, HCS will implement curbside meal service locations at select sites across the community.