HUNTSVILLE – A vision for the future of Huntsville’s main street is nearly complete.
Council has now directed town staff to complete final design drawings for the downtown revitalization and streetscape project.
• A pedestrian crossover east of the Main and West streets intersection
• a pedestrian connection from Main Street to River Mill Park via King Street
• Kent Park expansion and improvement
• some sections of wider sidewalks from West Street to Brunel Road for pedestrian access, traffic control and business use, and
• intersection improvements at Main and Centre streets
A proposed water feature, according to staff, got little support and was nixed, as was a proposed arch at Lorne Street.
The plans did propose some reductions to Main Street parking. Council may consider alternate parking solutions in the downtown area to compensate in future.